Thursday, August 13, 2009

an unexpected loss...


I've been "finding" Thetas and friends from college for the last couple of years. I've been successful in re-connecting to many. I even created this blog for a spot for us to post our funny memories. One of the persons that posted was Shan Dillard Maika. Shan was my big sister in Theta. I hadn't talked to her since she and John moved to Ennis in the early 80s. I was so glad to catch up with her and find her working at UT Austin. She'd gotten a Masters in Biology at UTD and was working in cellular research. She surprised me with the news that she was a breast cancer survivor and had had a double mastectomy.

I still look in Facebook to see who else is out there that I can include in my Friends list. Thought I'd check up on Shan.

I was disappointed to find she passed away last April. Found a blog through Facebook where her colleagues had posted tributes. I'm glad I did get to reconnect with her and have some contact, but now I am disappointed she's gone. Shan, I hope you know we were thinking about you and we are glad we knew you.

No comments: