Friday, September 19, 2008

Flashbacks!

Wow, I've been stuck in the 70s lately, thanks to my vast mp3 collection of songs from that decade...maybe the Swiffer commercial out now playing "Baby Come Back" kicked it off? Never thought I'd see it played by a mariachi band! Here are some of my top music memories from the LSU era 1975-1979:

Helen B's record player (yes, I said record player) set to repeatedly play the soundtrack from "A Star is Born" with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson...basically providing the music in the house on Saturday afternoons while we got ready for the game/dates that night...

Cruising down Highland Road near dusk in a white '73 Cougar with the windows rolled down and "More Than a Feeling" blasting...

The juke box at Cotton Club playing "Beyond the Sea" by Bobby Darin, along with the Glenn Miller, Supremes and Beach Boys classics...($1 gin & tonics, anyone?)

I have NO idea what music was playing at the White Horse Tavern! My memories obscured...

"King Tut" by Steve Martin and "Shout"by Otis Day & the Knights...oh yeah, the Blues Brothers..."Shout" became the theme song for the toga parties we started to have from the Animal House movie. Hey, wasn't Animal House based on true stories from the DKE house??

I got more, people! Jump in!

8 comments:

Virginia said...

Don't forget Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees album.... those songs are on my ipod and I have wonderful fun memories pop in my brain when I hear these songs!

My husband was a DEKE at LSU and we recently were in Baton Rouge and went by the house - nothing has changed except the "peep hole" in the ladies bathroom is gone! Does anyone remember the fear of being spied on while in the ladies room?

lsmith77 said...

Lowdown one of my all-time favorite songs! Boz Scaggs one of the few concerts I saw at LSU, along with Steve Martin with an arrow through his head!

Those LSU DKEs...only heard the rumors of the peephole, don't think I was ever in the ladies room there. I did see the floor up close the ONE time I gatored at a TGIF! Got a scar on my chin from that...

shan Maika said...

Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees- one weekend living in Miller dorm, the girls in the room next to the one I lived in left their 8-track tape player (right up there with the record player) on with that tape in. They also apparently left their closet doors open because we could hear it as though it were in our room. Recall that 8-track tapes would play over and over continuously if you did not eject it. You get the picture.

Tenth Avenue Freeze-out by Bruce Springsteen on the juke box at the Bengal.

Singing along with a bunch of other Thetas to Ronnie Milsaps songs on the juke box at Bab's Clinic

Dancing to cover versions of Bachman Turner Overdrive (you aint seen nnnnothing yet!) and Peter Frampton (show me the way) at the grub parites at that place out in the country- Player's Gate.

Virginia said...

Babs Clinic.... oh my I forgot about that place - where was it?

Virginia said...

Babs Clinic..... oh I forgot about that place...... where was it anyway?

shan Maika said...

It was way down Highland Road- the building is still there but its some sort of a bar/restaurant type thing now.

lsmith77 said...

Hey Shan - but did you ENJOY hearing Boz Scaggs all weekend??

I missed out on Bab's, was only there a couple of times I think.

Shan's memory is really good - I will depend on everyone else's memories! Never would have remembered Player's Gate. Remember the party, though - that was fun. Think it was Kappa-Theta-Pi Phi Grub Party. Not sure my daughters have as much fun at college as we did. We knew how to do it right at LSU!

lsmith77 said...

One of my classmates at Capt. Shreve High School posted some photos of moving her daughter to LSU 33 years after she did. One photo is in front of Pastime's, remember that place?

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=55134&id=654424133

OK here are my picks for bests in BR while we were at LSU:

Gumbo: Ruby's
Pizza: Fleur de Lis
Gin & Tonics, Juke Box, secret place to eat in the back: Cotton Club
Sandwiches made by cute guys: Caterie

Y'all remember the old Ruby's? A dive under an overpass...walk in, almost totally dark, smoky from food...write your own ticket...Big Bertha burgers...